Friday, November 5, 2010

Proverb 1

Way for experession.

Today, I would like to teach you about some English proverb.

Situation 1,

When you try to anything, your friends, parents, and people around you say this phrase to encourage you.
“Go to the sea, if you would fish well.”
Can you understand this phrase in Japanese? We say this in Japanese, “Atatte kudakero”
I didn’t have a clue to express this proverb in English like that.
It is interesting!

Situation 2,

Do you know the meaning “A woman is a weathercock.”? This phrase means woman’s feeling and weather is changeable. So in Japanese, this is expressed “Onnna-gokoro to akosora”. Have you heard this proverb? Is this true for you? I think this phrase is right and accurateJ

At last, I end this article with a phrase which I found and liked.

“He who makes no mistakes makes nothing”.

See you

6 comments:

  1. Here's an interesting Russian proverb:
    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts;
    if wishes were horses, beggars might ride.;
    ifs and ands were pots and pans, then we would need no tinkers.;
    if wishes were fishes, there'd be no room in the river for water.
    And here is an Egyptian proverb:
    If you marry a monkey for his wealth, the money goes and the monkey remains as is.
    Now, try to find out what this means. It's considered the 5th strangest word in the English language:
    floccinaucinihilipilification

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, mana!
    proverbs you listed are very interesting for me♪ I didn't know! I'd like to know more:p
    I think "A woman is a weathercock" is true!lol
    I like "Love is blind"[koi wa moumoku].

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me the meaning of last phrase. I'm very curious! My favorite proverb is "Failure teaches success."

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Mr. Jeff.
    Thank you for giving good proverbs. I could translate them in Japanese, but I can't understand the meaning of them. They were difficult but I am curious to solve the problem. If you have another proverbs, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Risa
    I think that "A woman is weathercock" is true too. This proverb fits me.
    "Love is blind" is famous saying. I like too and it shows common feeling which people who are falling in love think absolutely.It is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Yuko
    Thanks for posting comment. The last phrase means, briefly speaking, "people make mistake, but if people don't make it, they can't get any success." This phrase is similar to your favorite proverb.

    ReplyDelete