Saturday, January 22, 2011

"maybe"

Perhaps, maybe, probably, they are similar in meaning each other.
I often use “maybe~” in my conversation, but in a book that I read, I found that my using of “”maybe” is incorrect.
I always used “maybe” when I was talking with foreigners regardless of degree of exactness.


I show degree of exactness of 3 words, “perhaps”, “maybe” and “probably”, it is showed like following.

Probablymaybeperhaps


According to an article, Japanese English learners tend to use “maybe” or “probably” too much. The same is true for me.
Although these 3 words have similar meaning, they are different of using.

 I leaned that I must use them over separating by degree of exactness to tell what I really want to say exactly.

1 comment:

  1. Mana, there are other expressions that fit into the same catagory:
    is, absolutely, without-a-doubt, surely, should be, maybe, perhaps, probably, might be
    All suggest degree of certainty. Try them!

    ReplyDelete