Saturday, January 22, 2011

"maybe"

Perhaps, maybe, probably, they are similar in meaning each other.
I often use “maybe~” in my conversation, but in a book that I read, I found that my using of “”maybe” is incorrect.
I always used “maybe” when I was talking with foreigners regardless of degree of exactness.


I show degree of exactness of 3 words, “perhaps”, “maybe” and “probably”, it is showed like following.

Probably>maybe>perhaps


According to an article, Japanese English learners tend to use “maybe” or “probably” too much. The same is true for me.
Although these 3 words have similar meaning, they are different of using.

 I leaned that I must use them over separating by degree of exactness to tell what I really want to say exactly.

1 comment:

  1. Mana, there are other expressions that fit into the same catagory:
    is, absolutely, without-a-doubt, surely, should be, maybe, perhaps, probably, might be
    All suggest degree of certainty. Try them!

    ReplyDelete